Rhubarb season tends to remind me of the beginning of summer. Once you see Rhubarb you know summer is not to far of now. The recipe for these Vanilla Ice Cream Cakes with Rhubarb compote is as simple as it will ever get. The Yoghurt type is yours to choose, from Coconut to Mango almost every flavor would match wonderfully with the slightly sour but sweet taste of Rhubarb.
Getting back in the kitchen and into the flow of testing recipes and writing about them or simply photographing took some time. All lot of time in life everything else takes over and we forget or back bench those things that actually are fun and make us who we are.
If been eager to try Rhubarb and was researching recipes and the best flavor combinations for some time before I decided to just keep it simple and make a wonderful Rhubarb compote while the most common combinations tend to be Rhubarb and Strawberries. In Massachusetts it took some time to get a hold of the first strings of Rhubarb, while the west coast was already swamped with it, I was searching markets and stores for some rhubarb without any success. By May Rhubarb finally reached my area.
This recipe needs no more than four Ingredients and is great during the summer months when you are craving a quick and easy dessert that will surely be tasty for everyone whom you are inviting to any planned party. Rhubarb, Lemon Juice and any Sugar of your choosing are the ingredients of the Rhubarb Compote and a little Patience. No more is needed for a wonderful Rhubarb Compote that you will be able to store for a few weeks. For any leftovers I had of the Rhubarb Compote I used it for Waffles, Pancakes and simply as a topping with my overnight oats or Yoghurt. Stored in a tight Glass Jar and refrigerated you can scoop Rhubarb Compote for a few weeks.
- For the Vanilla Yoghurt Ice Cream Cakes
- 400g Non Fat Vanilla Yoghurt or Soy Vanilla Flavor Yoghurt
- For the Rhubarb Compote
- 3 Strings of Rhubarb
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 150g Sugar or 1 ½ cups Sugar
- For the Vanilla Ice Cream Cakes
- Use a muffin pan with 3-4 cm in Diameter. Scoop in 4-5 spoons of Yoghurt or until each mold is completely full. Even each mold out so the cakes will be able to stand flat once frozen. Now freeze the Cakes for about 6 hours.
- For the Rhubarb Compote
- Peeling of the skin and strings from the Rhubarb until almost only green skin is left. Now cut the Rhubarb into small pieces and place in a saucepan. Add Lemon Juice and Sugar to the Rhubarb and start cooking at low heat. Stir the mixture every 5-10 minutes. The compote is done once the Rhubarb is soft and has taken on a brownish color.
- Take the Vanilla Yoghurt Cakes out of the freezer and garnish each one of them with some Rhubarb Compote.